....... a Time to Share a Time to R3member
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Lunch @ Lan Jou Chen Chong Niu Rou La Mian, Wulian Road, Shanghai

On Day 2, my cousin decides to bring us to this Chinese-Muslim restaurant that sell “la mian” (Ramen) near to where he lives. They have all sorts of la mian which you can order from their menu. Since this place is Chinese-Muslim they are specialize in beef la mian. Since I don’t take beef I ordered the chicken version fried with some chicken cubes, bell pepper and vege.

While waiting for our food, I was watching this guy making and pulling the “la mian” for our lunch. Dad ordered the Niu Rou Ramen -Beef Ramen (RMB9)Cousin ordered his all time favourite Dao Xiao Mian-Knife Shred Noodle (RMB12). This is how the Dao Xiao Mian is make.
And MH and I had the Chicken Ramen (RMB12)According to cousin, the beef ramen stock is very delicious and yummy and the ramen is springy enough. And for my cousin all time favourite, I must caution to those who only likes “mee hoon kueh” you will love this. It’s thick and chewy enough. For mine, it’s like “pan mian” (Sg version) fried with chicken cubes, bell pepper and some greens.

I’m curious if I am able to pull the la mian as easy as the guy above. I have been watching him for about 15 mins and I concluded it’s not as tough as I imagine. In fact, the process has been written in picture memory. For those who are interested, you can try and let me know.

1. Make the dough - flour, water, pinch of salt and sugar. Knead the dough until it is springy and firm.
2. Roll the dough like a log cake and start pulling it horizontally.
3. After pulling the dough, fold the dough into halve and pull again.
4. Repeat Step 3 as much as you can until you have enough ramen to eat. The more you fold the dough into halve, the more strands you have. The more your stretch the dough the finer your ramen will be. Sounds simple? O la la.......

This is what I observed during the 15mins wait for my lunch and I think you just need more practice and skill to hold the ramen when you pull them. Practice makes perfect right?

No comments: